Monday, January 5, 2009

Reverend Run and Jelly

I have a recurring dream about school. It's always high school, and it's always the end of the semester and I need to go take finals but a)I haven't been to class all semester so I don't know what we're studying and I haven't done any of the work and b)I don't know where the classroom is. What a boring recurring dream. It crept in a bit to the dream I had last night, but slightly more interesting. Only slightly - don't get excited...

I was in a high school english class that was being taught by Mr. Katimsky from My So-Called Life (I've watched over half the series in the last 24 hours in real life). We were supposed to do research papers on somebody. I had no idea who, or what the point of the paper was, or what we were supposed to include. My partner was Michael Masters, who I went to grade school with, and he was making his oral presentation. WHen he was finished, Mr. Katimsky said "Do you have anything to add?" and all I could think of to do was to come up with adjectives to describe the individual. First, I realized that Michael had been talking about Run from Run DMC. Next, I described him as "out there," "over the top," and "a spitfire."

Then Mr. Katimsky asked if I'd like to share my paper. I told him it wasn't done. My friend Johnny appeared and said his wasn't done either. I was bummed because I thought it could have been a cool paper - Run is interesting, I'm sure. I kept wondering how I'd be able to do the paper that night, since I went to school and worked teaching piano full time. Later, after I woke up, I had to tell myself like 5 times that I did not have to write that paper.

In the dream, I did offer to share this other thing with the class. I reached out the window and my arm stretched all the way to the blacktop ground outside, even though we were on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and I gathered some apricot jelly out of a jar with a long-handled white spoon. I passed it around the class to whoever wanted it. "I have strawberry or apricot," I told them. I was surprised at how many people had open faced peanut butter sandwiches sitting on their desks.

I got to Stephanie, another person I went to grade school with. "Do you have any apricot?" she asked. "No, only strawberry and apricot," I replied. She said "Ew" and I gave a serving of apricot to Rachel (also from grade school) who was sitting next to her. At this point, the spoon was gone and I was serving handfuls of jelly. I laughed about it. My hands were not sticky.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

dude, have a similar recurrent dream. mine is that i'm in school and i suddenly realize that there's one class i've been neglecting and not going to class and not studying or anything. usually it's math, even though i love math. i totally panic from the overwhelming idea that i have to catch up.

Reem Tara said...

It's usually math for me too! And I totally like math in real life. Weirds...

SophisticatedBrew said...

omg i've had so many dreams about forgetting to go to math class! in college though, not high school. or maybe grad school. like i'm going about my business and then i realize that i haven't gone to math class in a month or since the first week of classes. weird.

this made me want jam.

Reem Tara said...

Was it the Cultural Approaches to Math class you took at Beloit? I TOTALLY want jam.

jx said...

were these people from grade school grade-school-aged or adult versions of them?